Friday, April 28, 2006

Hip-Hop Has Risen and Died Again


Actor and comedian Katt Williams recently took some time to talk to SOHH about his newest venture - being a rap artist.
As SOHH previously reported, Williams recently signed with Cam'ron's Diplomat Records.
"It's official," Williams confirmed to SOHH exclusively. "My album is coming out this year. I had about three places that I decided would be a good look. I won't say who all I met and had discussions with but I had an offer from Universal. I'm not going to say the name of the second place and the last person was Cam. Me and Cam met for maybe an hour and at the end of the hour we both understood what it was gonna be."
The announcement came during the recent taping of Williams stand-up DVD in Atlanta, GA. "We taped my comedy special in Atlanta," Williams said. "It was crazy. At the end, in front of 4,000 people we made the Dipset announcement at the tail end of that. So yes, the revolution will be televised."
The album, which is titled It's Pimpin is due out this summer. An actual release date has not yet been determined.
"It's a rap album, but it's funny," said Williams. "I got to deal with whoever I wanted to deal with. Snoop is on the album, Lil Jon, E-40, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Suga Free, Lyfe Jennings, MC Lyte, Da Brat, Dipset of course.
"The first single will probably be hittin in the next 21 days," he added, although he has yet to choose what song will be the first released. "It's a battle between the song with me, Lil Jon and Ice Cube and another song with me, Paul Wall and Mike Jones."
Williams, who begins taping his third season of the Nick Cannon helmed MTV improv show "Wild N' Out" next week, will also reprise his A Pimp Named Slickback role for the second season of Aaron McGruder's "The Boondocks' animated series. According to Williams, McGruder is currently in talks with Sony about making a live action film about the life of A Pimp Named Slickback, which would star Williams.
Currently filming the new Eddie Murphy film Norbit, alongside Charlie Murphy, Cuba Gooding Jr., Thandie Newton, Williams will again play the role of a pimp, but he told SOHH he has no worries about being typecasted.
"I'm a fly dude... I just am," Williams told SOHH. "There are certain things that you think about when you see me and that's what I'm bringing to the role. I don't waste my time thinking about the pigeon hole thing. I can't be stuck, I make over a million dollars a year doing stand up. What happens in TV and movies, that's other issues. I'm on one of the top shows on MTV and I'm not playing a pimp there.
"When I was on My Wife and Kids' with Damon Wayans, I played a corny dude that's stuck in the 80's," he adds. "When I acted on 'The Tracy Morgan Show' I was just a dude that came by Tracy's shop that liked music. I am what I am. So I bring what I am to my parts. There are a lot of actors who would love to do what I'm doing. A lot of people when they hear I am doing this rap album are like, 'Well, can he rap?' But it's a numbers game. I'm gonna outsell a whole lot of qualified rappers and they'll just have to deal with that."

(Source:
SOHH.com)

Cam, I was really starting to put you back on my good side after More Than Music but this is just foolishness. DipSet is already comprised of Cam, Jim Jones, Juelz Santana, Hell Rell, JR Writer, Freakey Zekey, Jha Jha (who I'm not too fond of), 40 Cal, Max B, and most recently, DukeDaGod. Starting to sound a lot like G-Unit; bunch of thugged out dudes with one broad and a comedian (the role of the comedian in G-Unit is played by Ma$e.) The third coming of the Wu-Tang clan. They really are trying to start a movement, I see. But can Katt Williams rap any worse than the above mentioned characters? (As you can see I'm clearly playing the Devil's Advocate because I am a well know massive DipSet fan.) He is a comedian, not a rapper. It's the same thing as Chris Tucker bustin out with osme rhymes about how funny Jackie Chan was in Rush Hour. *Sigh*

And Jesus wept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MusixZone Harlem: Diary of a Summer
Listen to this album
Listen : Jim Jones , Harlem: Diary of a Summer
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take and may this song play all the way, through. And if it skip a beat, hit repeat, this the realest shit I ever wrote, this is me. If it skip a beat, hit repeat, This the realest shit I ever wrote, this is me. -Juelz Sanatana, This Is Me, What The Game's Been Missing