Thursday, October 27, 2005

But I Don't Like Popcorn...

I've been half-writing for the past few days.
Slacking off horribly, and I have no idea why. One thing I have been doing with some consistency though, is watching Alfred Hitchcock movies. TCM (Channel 82 if you live in Manhattan, if you don't, I can't help you) is showing thirty-nine of his films from the 24th until the 30th. So far, I've watched about four or five. "Psycho" for the very first time, and boy was that an experience, "Spellbound" which was incredibly creepy, " "Notorious," which I only half-watched because I was in the middle of half-writing, and "Rebecca." I enjoyed Rebecca the most out of those. I missed "Vertigo" by about thirty-five seconds. I flicked on the television and it was going off.
I have found a new love for black and white films. I remember when I was younger and mami used to sit us in front of the television while she cooked. Surefire way to get me to fall asleep. I always thought that black and white automatically equaled boring as hell. Now I'm learning. Black and white means that you get to play a lot more camera tricks than you can with color. You are forced to watch the film with all your senses. Technicolor is magical, I wouldn't have it any other way, but every now and then it's still cool to watch it the good old fashioned way.
The first black and white movies I can remember are "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane" (both of which I still have on VHS). I haven't watched either in over eight or nine years. I'm going to have to go in the vault and pluck them out of there before I completely forget both story lines. But then again I guess that is the best time to watch a movie again. When you've totally forgotten what's going on. ("If you can play it for her, you can play it for me..." Has got to be one of the best lines of all time.)
Did anybody actually sit through all nineteen excruciating hours of "Gone With the Wind"? I always get up to the part where...I don't even remember. I just know that I have never been able to sit through that entire film. It's just waaaay too long. And it is completely uninteresting. Call me an uncultured swine if you will, but I hate that movie with a passion.
I see that's where this post is going to sit: movies. I always wonder if one of my books will be turned into a script one day. That would be hot. The one thing I'm dying to see is my first novel. (If you don't know, feel free to hit me up and ask.) I can see it in my head as having money making potential. It's written in my favorite genre...well not really, because my favorite genre is more action-adventure...and suspense...and crime drama...okay so it's a little bit of all three. I love a good shoot em up bang em up. "Kill Bill" was right up my alley. Pretty much anything with an explosion in it. (Don't forget the pyromania.)
Except Kevin Costner. Oh *insert eye roll here* he has got to be the most long winded actor in history. Everyone else can make a point in and hour and a half except for him. "Dances With Wolves" had to be at least ten hours long. And that was without the extra footage. "If you build it, they will come..." I don't even know what-Field of Dreams. That's it. Another sucky movie. But I'm biased because I hate baseball. It's not even a real sport. Annette Benning, another one. Dry like toast. Her and Gwenyth Paltrow. Homegirl is the same actress in every movie she's ever been in. *Yawn* But SAG likes her.
I don't think I have a favorite actor/actress. I have a bunch of favorites. Denzel (isn't that dope that he can go around with one name? Just Denzel), Julia Roberts, Richard Gere, John Malkovich, Gary Sinise, Gabrielle Union, I think Taraji P. Henson is too cute, don't you? Meryl Streep, I just recently learned of the magic that is Don Cheadle, I could really go on for days.
That's not even a good list, it's just what I could come up with off the top of my head. If I really had time to sit and think about it, I'd write it down. Maybe I'll do a post on that in the future.
The last movie I went to see was "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." That rocked and I ended up seeing it twice more before the summer was over. I found it amazing. And once again, more shoot em up, bang em up. (Did anybody see "Collateral"? I have to get that on DVD. If you feel like being a sweetheart, get it for me. Call it a late birthday gift or and early Christmas gift.) Anyway, it starred a very fit looking Brad and a very sexy looking Angelina. (Sorry Jen, she's got you by a long shot.) If I were a man, I'd be first in line to do her. I find her incredibly attractive.
I think I was one of the only people who didn't bother to go see "Hustle and Flow" this summer. For more reasons than one. IMO, there was one very good reason for me not to go see it, which I will not disclose, and there were a bunch of other reasons, which I will. One, the only movie I ever thought Terrence Howard was good in was the friend in "The Best Man."
And "Crash." I think he is a cocky mofo, I really do. Confidence and cockiness are two different things. Two, it just seems to me that he is dying to be the next Denzel. Three, he also (like Samuel L. Jackson whom I have officially excommunicated from the black race) was on hand to say something about Fifty Cent. Everybody knows I love me some Fiddy. Terrence honey, you just started getting good roles so who are you to call someone else an amateur? Puh-leeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MusixZone Harlem: Diary of a Summer
Listen to this album
Listen : Jim Jones , Harlem: Diary of a Summer
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take and may this song play all the way, through. And if it skip a beat, hit repeat, this the realest shit I ever wrote, this is me. If it skip a beat, hit repeat, This the realest shit I ever wrote, this is me. -Juelz Sanatana, This Is Me, What The Game's Been Missing